Choosing your GCSEs
As you progress at Sexey’s there is the opportunity to express preferences about some of the subjects you would like to study in Years 10 and 11.
In Key Stage Four (Years 10 and 11) learning is composed of a ‘core’ curriculum which is studied by all students at the school. The core includes English Language and English Literature, Mathematics, Science, French, Physical Education, and Personal, Social & Health Education (PSHE) and Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) . In addition, students will undertake some areas of learning that are ‘optional’.
When you are choosing your options, it is useful to consider:
- What subjects do I enjoy? If you enjoy subjects, you will probably do better in them.
- What subjects am I good at?
- What is involved in the course I will be taking in terms of subject matter and assessment?
- Do my choices provide a broad and balanced range of courses that will keep my options open in the future?
- How might your choices affect you in the next stages of your education and future careers?
- Whether older students who are currently undertaking courses about what is involved can provide some useful perspective.
All students must undertake the subjects in the core curriculum. In addition, they must all take one of Geography or History (students can take choose to take both subjects if desired). Beyond this we encourage students to consider the broader value of the creative subjects.
You will receive your GCSE Options Booklet and Choice Form in January of Year 9.