Year 12 Careers Week
Our Y12s enjoyed a full programme of activities for this year’s Careers Week (20-24 June).
Students heard from business leaders in a range of fields, from engineering and marketing, to law, design, and finance.
Darren Clinton from the University of South Wales gave helpful advice on managing student finance. Expert guidance was also provided on apprenticeships and employability skills by Nikki Blackwell from the Apprenticeship & Skills Advisory Service (ASK) and Hugh Graham, Manager Director, at The BidCoach ran a session on interview skills and technique.
Students enjoyed a keynote speech from Emma Rawlins, Executive Director Somerset Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
Our Year 12s also conducted a series of mock interviews with potential employers ranging from a Veterinary Practice Manager to Law professionals. Commenting, one student said, “I enjoyed the mock interviews, although I was nervous I found it to be a positive experience.”
Feedback from the interviews was extremely positive including “best set of 6th form students for mock interviews that I have met”, “I’m impressed with your students’ positive attitudes, engagement and confidence in themselves” and “I would hire them!.”
Students were also set a task as part of a communication skills workshop to describe ‘lego’ structures to other students who hadn’t seen them and then they had to rebuild.
On the final day, the whole year group went on a visit to Bath University.
Thank you to all our presenters
We’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in the planning and execution of what turned out to be a wonderful, fun and productive week! Thank you in particular to our visiting guests and presenters:
- Tom Ware – Director in Production and Performance : University of South Wales (who presented on Careers and Higher Education in the Creative Industries)
- Hugh Graham, The Bid Coach Ltd (who ran a session on interview skills and techniques
- Steve Edwards, Director, Renewable Energy Strategy at Liberty Global
- Sarah Stainforth, Practice Manager, Delaware Vets
- Will Dunlop, Letz Live
- Jake Chatfield, University of Law
- Nikki Blackwell, Apprenticeship & Skills Advisory Service (ASK)
- Catherine Colgan and Emily Murray, The Newt in Somerset
- Nicholas Milrose, Enterprise Adviser
- Richard Waller, Banking (retd)
- Katie Vickers, University of Reading
- Tori Masters, Yeovil College University Centre
- Lottie Davis – Albert Goodman LLP
- Darren Clinton and Tom Ware – University of South Wales
- Lucy Burgess – MSc Building Surveying Graduate – UWE
- Laura Rossiter – Research Fellow at University of Southampton
- Charlotte Kiddell – Undergraduate Arts and Humanities – Open University
You can learn more about careers at Sexey’s, as well as opportunities currently available for Sixth Formers, on the school site: https://www.sexeys.somerset.sch.uk/learning/careers/.
You can also read more on Guidance and Support at Sexey’s Sixth Form here.