GCSE results 2020

GCSE results 2020

PRESS RELEASE

Sexey’s School students celebrate their results despite year of uncertainty for GCSE examinations nationally

Bruton, 20 August 2020: Following an extraordinary period of uncertainty surrounding this year’s GCSE results, Sexey’s School’s students are celebrating today as they are permitted to keep the Centre-Assessed Grades (CAG) awarded by their teachers (or the Ofqual-moderated version, whichever is higher).

While this cohort of Year 11 students have not sat physical examinations as a result of national lockdown during Covid-19, they were welcomed into school today in a socially distanced manner to collect their results. These results continue to reflect Sexey’s strong teaching and learning and historically superb results at both GCSE and A Level. Female student celebrates with mother at GCSE results day

Commenting, Mrs Helen Cullen, Headteacher at Sexey’s School said, “We are tremendously proud of our students’ resilience in such an extraordinary year, and of the grades that they have gained. We are of course delighted that the government has elected to honour the grades awarded by the teaching body, who know their students best. This was a significant piece of work for all my staff and I am grateful to them for their professionalism and commitment to their students during the coronavirus lockdown period. Through our robust internal measures staff have ensured that student’s CAGs truly reflected what they were capable of achieving had they been able to sit their exams. My thanks goes to Mr Dalzell, Assistant Head – Curriculum, Data and Standards who led this key piece of work to ensure all results submitted were robust and fair.”

Mrs Cullen continued, “We are delighted that these GCSE results will open the doors for these wonderful young people to progress onto the next stage of their lives and we look forward to welcoming all students joining us at Sexey’s Sixth Form in September. As always we celebrate all students’ results and each year there are always some truly spectacular results. This year is no different with our particular congratulations going to the following high achievers:

• Rose Beedle, who achieved six 9s and four 8 grades
  • Victoria Badcott, who achieved seven 9s and two 8 grades
  • Rebecca Fay, who achieved five 9s and four 8 grades
  • Alice Saxton, who achieved five 9s, two 8s and two 7 grades
  • Iain Kirkwood, who achieved five 9s, one 8 and two 7 grades
  • Tom Chapman, who achieved three 9s and four 8 grades
  • Ruben FitzGerald, who achieved one 9, six 8s, and two 7 grades

Commenting on his success, Ruben FitzGerald said, “I’m so pleased with my results and to be celebrating with everyone today. I’m really looking forward to starting at Sexey’s Sixth in September and will be taking History, Politics and Geography.” Female student celebrates with family over GCSE results 2020

Head Girl Rebecca Fay said, “I’d really like to thank all of the teachers for the support they have given us over this difficult time, we’ve really appreciated it and have found all the results controversy easier to deal with because of it. I’d also like to thank my family for keeping me calm! I can’t wait for September and starting Sexey’s Sixth Form now.”

Female students jump for joy at gcse results 2020High achiever Rose Beedle added, “It’s been a weird year but I’m really glad we’ve got our results now. Thank you to all our teachers for everything they have done.”

Mrs Helen Cullen, Headteacher, added, “I would like to thank the staff who have worked so hard to support and encourage these young people. Through their commitment and exceptional teaching and learning, they have prepared them for their next step on their educational journey. We are very proud to have had the opportunity to teach this superb group of students and I thank them for all of their hard work during their time at Sexey’s. We look forward to welcoming many of them back at Sexey’s Sixth in September.”

END