A Level Results!
Our Sixth Form students are once again celebrating outstanding A Level results today, well above the national average. In a year when grades nationally have dropped, Sexey’s students have performed consistently strongly, with 47% achieving at least one A or A* and 83% of students gaining A*-C grades.
Sexey’s results are well above the national level published by the Joint Council for Qualifications, as follows: A*-C 83% (Sexey’s) versus 75.8% (national), A*-B 62% (Sexey’s) versus 51.6% (national), A*-A 25% – in line with the national level (also 25%).
88% of students who applied to go to university secured their preferred destination, with at least 49% gaining a Russell Group university place. 100% of students who elected to go into industry secured their apprenticeship.
Commenting, Headteacher Mrs Helen Cullen said, “While exam results should not be the sole goal of education, they provide a helpful yardstick to how our students are competing on a national level. We are proud to yet again have high performing, hardworking students who are reaping the benefits of their study and the excellent teaching, care and support they receive from their teachers. Moreover, in achieving and exceeding their own personal targets, they have a positive future ahead of them, both at university and in industry.”
Sexeians with particularly noteworthy successes in 2019 include:
- Charlotte Linscott, who achieved A*, Distinction*, Distinction*, B, from Ansford Academy, going to Exeter University to study Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity
- Emily Johnstone, who achieved A*, Distinction*, Distinction, from Sexey’s School, taking a Gap Year
- Jocasta Fay, who achieved A*, A, A, from Sexey’s School, and is taking a Gap Year
- Hazel Luscombe, who achieved A*, A, A, from Preston School, going to the University of Plymouth to study Dental Therapy and Hygiene
- Omni Thiessen, who achieved A, A, A, A, from Southgate School, going to the University of Leeds to study Biochemistry
- Harry Bewley, who achieved A*, A, A, from Sexey’s School, and is taking a Gap Year
- Caleb Maskell, who achieved A, A, B, from King Arthur’s School, is going to University of Reading to study Mathematics and Psychology
- Alice Enever, who achieved A*, Distinction*, Distinction, C, from Sexey’s School, and is taking a Gap Year
Helen Cullen continued, “We would also like to take the opportunity to congratulate those numerous students who achieved grades significantly higher than originally predicted at the start of their A Level course. The provision for A Level at Sexey’s enables students to achieve their maximum potential in a supportive and caring environment, led this year in Sixth Form by Mrs Alice Elliott and Mr Dan Glover – my thanks to both for their hard work. We are delighted that our students now have the opportunities to continue their studies at some of the most selective and prestigious universities or enter a competitive employment market with a strong academic foundation.”
Mrs Russ, whose daughter accepted her apprenticeship, said, “It’s an end of an era today. I have had three children board at Sexey’s, right through to Sixth Form, and they have all been so nurtured, and treated as individuals. They have flourished in their own ways – Sexey’s has really focused on the personal, as well as the academic success of my children.”
There are a number of top performing departments who are today celebrating their results, including History, Business Studies, Biology, Psychology and Photography. We are particularly proud of the achievement of our BTEC Sport Students, whose average grade was a Distinction (A equivalent).
We wish all of our Year 13 leavers every success as they move onto the next stage of their journey of lifelong learning and hope that as they leave us, they take with them happy memories, confidence and a determination to be successfully in all that they do. We look forward to hearing about their future successes through Sexey’s Alumni.