Core Maths (AQA)
Core Maths is about students undertaking meaningful mathematical problems to increase their confidence in using mathematics to be better equipped for the mathematical demands of other courses, higher education and employment.
Benefits of Core Maths
Core Maths has been designed to maintain and develop real-life mathematical skills. The core maths content is not purely theoretical or abstract; it can be applied on a day-to-day basis, whether in work, study or life. It is the equivalent of an AS course; it has the same UCAS points value and can be taken in conjunction with three other A Levels.
How is Core Maths taught?
Core Maths builds on GCSE mathematics with a particular focus on problem-solving skills. Students will consider and tackle mathematics in meaningful contexts, including financial applications and statistical ideas that can support work in other subjects they will be studying.
Students learn through using and applying mathematics to solve problems including those in:
- personal contexts: scenarios related to the individual, family or peer group
- occupational contexts: scenarios related to the world of work
- societal contexts: scenarios related to local, national or global communities
- scientific contexts: scenarios related to the natural world, science and technology
This equips students with practical and useful mathematics skills relevant to:
- business needs e.g. analysing and evaluating data, budget management, problem-solving approaches and financial calculations
- everyday life requirements e.g. preparing tax returns, applying for loans, general budgeting and managing household finances
What does Core Maths cover?
The qualification covers:
- statistics and algebra
- probability and estimation
- data analysis and modelling
- sequences and growth
- financial planning and management
- problem-solving approaches and techniques e.g. linear programming
- using technology and spreadsheets
Minimum Entry Requirements: 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above, including a grade 4 at GCSE mathematics.
Updated January 2019