Examination results 2019
A Level (KS5)
Congratulations to our A Level students for once again achieving exceptional examination results! In a year when grades nationally have dropped, Sexey’s students have performed consistently strongly, with 47% achieving at least one A or A* and 83% of students gaining A*-C grades.
Sexey’s results are well above the national level published by the Joint Council for Qualifications, as follows: A*-C 83% (Sexey’s) versus 75.8% (national), A*-B 62% (Sexey’s) versus 51.6% (national), A*-A 25% – in line with the national level (also 25%).
88% of students who applied to go to university secured their preferred destination, with at least 49% gaining a Russell Group university place. 100% of students who elected to go into industry secured their apprenticeship.
Official Government comparison rankings (Jan 2019) placed Sexey’s as the top State Sixth Form School in Somerset for the progress students make from GCSE to A Level and attainment based on average grade, with Sexey’s beating many of the local sixth form college providers and independent schools across Somerset.
Sexey’s students’ progress (2019) is +0.33 Above Average, also known as Value Added. A score above zero means students made more progress, on average, than students across England who got similar results at the end of Key Stage 4.
Other data points include:
- Overall average point score: 35.22 Grade B
- Value Added score for A-Levels: +0.18
- Value Added score for BTEC PE: +0.70
- ALPS Overall Quality Indicator grade: 2
– Note: 1 is Outstanding, 9 is the lowest
Based on our 2019 GCSE examination results, Sexey’s students once again achieved highly, with the following data points:
- Progress 8 score: +0.2 (National Average 0.0)*
- Attainment 8 score: 52 (National Average 45)
- The percentage of students who’ve achieved a strong pass (Grade 5 or above) in English and Maths at the end of KS4: 48% (National Average 42%)
- The percentage of students who’ve achieved a standard pass (Grade 4 or above) in English and Maths at the end of KS4: 70% (National Average 63%)
- The percentage of pupils entering for the English Baccalaureate (EBacc): 83%
- The percentage of pupils who’ve achieved the English Baccalaureate:
– Average Points Score: 4.13 (National Average 4.1)
Government data released in February 2020 ranked Sexey’s as the top performing state school in Somerset, based on its English Baccalaureate (EBacc) average point score (5.01), and in the top three schools in Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire by that measure. We were also the top school in Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire for percentage of students entering the EBacc, at 83%. For the significance of the EBacc, please see the full release here.
We were also in the top six state schools in Somerset and Dorset for Progress 8 (fourth in Somerset). We were third in Somerset for Attainment 8, and fifth for Maths and English Grade 5 and above.
Sexey’s is a non-selective state boarding and day school.
Key Stage 4 destinations
92% of Sexey’s students stayed in education or employment after KS4 (2019 leavers – figure includes our Spanish and French students).
*Progress 8 is a measure of value added i.e. it compares how students achieved at the end of Year 11 compared to their results from primary school, with which they entered Sexey’s School. A score of +0.20 means that, on average, students achieve a fifth of a grade more highly at Sexey’s School than they would in a school performing at the national average.