Careers preparation at Sexey's School
At Sexey’s School we provide all our students in Years 7 to 13 with a comprehensive programme of careers preparation, education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) and work related learning (WRL) to complement their curriculum learning and prepare them for life after school.
Careers preparation programme
|Key Stage 3||- Introduction into careers and interest guides
- Planning for the future – let’s talk about jobs!
|Key Stage 4||- Year 10: Employability and block work experience
- Year 11: Financials
- Taster days at local colleges
- Careers presentations: including talks from professionals and local employers
- South Somerset Careers Convention at Fleet Air Army Museum, Yeovilton
- CV writing and assistance with post 16 applications
- External speakers covering all post 16 (and post 18) options
|Key Stage 5||- UCAS convention visit, UWE, Bristol for all Year 12
- Oxbridge conference for HE+ students
- HE+ programme to support Oxbridge and competitive applications for medicine, veterinary science and dentistry
- Regular talks from professionals and local employers
- Work experience week (including briefing and debriefing)
- Y12: Allocated careers week (July) with university visits, professional speakers, workshops on GAP years, university, apprenticeships and employment
- Support and presentations on CVs, letters and application formats, including mock interview practice
- Access to alumni network of speakers and careers advice
- A Level results and clearing service
|Post Sixth Form/Year 11||- Ex-Sexey’s students can access support from the Independent Careers Adviser in the year after they have left, e.g. Gap Year students, those wishing to change their university course, look for apprenticeships, or recovering from illness|
All students can access up to date labour market information and research tools via Moodle and the School’s Independent Careers Advisor.
Full details of our Careers Policy can be read and downloaded here.
Measurement and assessment of the impact of our careers programme
The impact of Sexey’s careers programme is assessed by the Assistant Head using the following means:
- Lesson and tutor observations within PSHE lessons as part of School Self Evaluation
- Student focus groups. Resulting action points then feed into the following years’ planning process to ensure they are addressed.
- Review of the school’s adherence to the Gatsby Benchmarks undertaken in conjunction with the careers adviser.
Upcoming events: Student area
1. 10 ways to achieve careers education at home: download this pdf for top tips and a virtual activities list for students while we are in lockdown.
2. Springpod Work Experience Guide 2020
Download your guide to the UK’s top employers’ 2020 work experience programmes.
3. Leonardo Helicopters: Apprentice and Graduate vacancies for the 2020 intake are now live on the Leonardo People and Careers webpage. To access vacancies, please follow the links below:
4. IBM Apprenticeships: Apprenticeships range from Level 3 to Level 6 and each pathway gives you everything you need to start your career in the industry, with lots of exposure given. In addition to the day job there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in social activities and volunteering with other Apprentices, Students and Graduates. Opportunities are located across England and salaries start at £20,000/annum. Roles open periodically throughout the year and you can register your interest for more information here.
Find out more about subsidised STE(A)M university residentials: www.etrust.org.uk/headstart
6. Engineering and Business Apprenticeships with Honeywell Aerospace Yeovil: Read this leaflet for more information.
7. Register now for the free online Pearson College London Degree Apprenticeship Webinars
Register for advice to make your Degree Apprenticeship application stand out:
- Thursday 21st May – 09:30 – 11:00am
- Tuesday 2nd June – 2:00 – 3:30pm
These webinars will give you an overview of how Degree Apprenticeships work and a chance to ask any questions you may have. Degree Apprenticeships are becoming increasingly competitive and this is your chance to get ready to make your application stand out.
What to expect:
- An overview of the course
- An interactive session about perfecting your personal statements
- A Q&A session to answer all of your burning questions
Register online here now: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk/campaigns/degree-apprenticeship-webinar-series.html
8. Free online summer medical school for Year 11
At a Medical Schools Council (MSC) Summer School students learn about the wide-range of roles involved in contemporary healthcare: doctor, nurse, paramedic, occupational health practitioner. The sessions ultimately provide students with the information, skills and confidence they need to submit a strong application to a wide-range of healthcare training programmes.
Spaces are extremely limited, and will be heavily over-subscribed, but Sexey’s has been selected for the first round of applications.
The application process is via an online form and takes less than 5 minutes to complete – visit catalysis.org.uk/MSC to apply.
More about the course
Last year this course was a residential summer school. This year, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are running the course online. We will be running the course as a real-time medical emergency simulation; students will take the lead in making diagnostic decisions and working to a deadline to build an effective response to an outbreak scenario.
You will be tutored by leading health professionals – the very people you will have seen on TV and heard on the radio in recent weeks. These surgeons, doctors, paramedics and leading research scientists will share their expertise in small seminar groups conducted through a range of simple online platforms.
It will run from 12.00 on 7th July -9th July and will involve a series of tasks, online teaching sessions, seminars and feedback opportunities. The summer school is fully funded by Health Education England and you will not have to pay to attend.
If you fancy it, follow the sign-up link above!
9. UK University Search Virtual Fair: Wed 17 June 2020
Registration is NOW OPEN for the UK University Search Virtual Fair on Wednesday 17 June, from 12:00-18:00. Featuring over 80 universities and colleges and 10 live webinars it’s the perfect alternative to open days and recruitment fairs, open to students from Y13, Y12 and Y11.
They’ve also extended their Webinar Wednesdays until Wednesday 8 July to continue to support both you whilst working at home – check it out for help with personal statement writing and more:
Careerometer 2 Widget
The widget below can be used to explore and compare key information about occupations to support the process of identifying potential careers.
The Careerometer widget provides access to a selection of headline data relating to pay, weekly hours of work and future employment prospects.
The data are organised by occupation: simply type in the title of the job you are interested in and the widget provides a series of options from which you can select the most relevant to you.
Find out more
Pupils, parents, teachers and employers may find out more information about Sexey’s School’s careers preparation programme by contacting:
Careers Leader Mr. Dan Glover (Assistant Head – Teaching & Learning) or Wendy Watson (Independent Careers Advisor)
Telephone: 01749 813393
The next review of this information will be September 2020.