Careers preparation at Sexey's School
At Sexey’s School we provide all our students in Years 7 to 13 with a comprehensive programme of careers preparation, education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) and work related learning (WRL) to complement their curriculum learning and prepare them for life after school.
Careers preparation programme
|Key Stage 3||- Introduction into careers and interest guides
- Planning for the future – let’s talk about jobs!
|Key Stage 4||- Year 10: Employability
- Year 11: Financials
- Taster days at local colleges
- Careers presentations: including talks from professionals and local employers
- South Somerset Careers Convention at Fleet Air Army Museum, Yeovilton
- CV writing and assistance with post 16 applications
- External speakers covering all post 16 (and post 18) options
|Key Stage 5||- UCAS convention visit, UWE, Bristol for all Year 12
- Oxbridge conference for HE+ students
- HE+ programme to support Oxbridge and competitive applications for medicine, veterinary science and dentistry
- Regular talks from professionals and local employers
- Work experience week (including briefing and debriefing)
- Y12: Allocated careers week (July) with university visits, professional speakers, workshops on GAP years, university, apprenticeships and employment
- Support and presentations on CVs, letters and application formats, including mock interview practice
- Access to alumni network of speakers and careers advice
- A Level results and clearing service
|Post Sixth Form/Year 11||- Ex-Sexey’s students can access support from the Independent Careers Adviser in the year after they have left, e.g. Gap Year students, those wishing to change their university course, look for apprenticeships, or recovering from illness|
All students can access up to date labour market information and research tools via Moodle and the School’s Independent Careers Advisor.
Full details of our Careers Policy can be read and downloaded here.
Measurement and assessment of the impact of our careers programme
The impact of Sexey’s careers programme is assessed by the Assistant Head using the following means:
- Lesson and tutor observations within PSHE lessons as part of School Self Evaluation
- Student focus groups. Resulting action points then feed into the following years’ planning process to ensure they are addressed.
- Review of the school’s adherence to the Gatsby Benchmarks undertaken in conjunction with the careers adviser.
Upcoming events: Student area
1. Apprenticeship Information for Parents
Find out more about apprenticeships with this Parents Pack 2019 from Amazing Apprenticeships: what they are, where you can find them, and what types you can do! You can also read about their visit to speak to our Year 10 and 11 students in our news section here.
2. Somerset Careers Fair, 2019: Tues 12th November (Yeovilton). Please see the poster for more details.
3. The Young Investment Banker Programme 2019
📅 Date: 10th November or 14th December
🕒 Time: All day
📍 Location: University College, London (dates at the University of Manchester also available)
The Young Investment Banker Programme gives students aged 15-18 an immersive experience of investment banking through a series of interactive role-plays, seminars, simulations and Q&A sessions led by a group of high-ranking financiers. You will undergo a 360-degree experience of Sales & Trading, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity and Hedge Funds. Register now to gain a fantastic addition to your UCAS form and a competitive edge in the race for the best jobs in investment banking. Places are £135/student for a full day experience.
4. Leonardo Helicopters: Apprentice and Graduate vacancies for the 2020 intake are now live on the Leonardo People and Careers webpage. To access vacancies, please follow the links below:
Find out more
Pupils, parents, teachers and employers may find out more information about Sexey’s School’s careers preparation programme by contacting:
Careers Leader Mr. Dan Glover (Assistant Head – Teaching & Learning) or Wendy Watson (Independent Careers Advisor)
Telephone: 01749 813393
The next review of this information will be September 2020.