Careers preparation at Sexey's School
At Sexey’s School we provide all our students in Years 7 to 13 with a comprehensive programme of careers preparation, education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) and work related learning (WRL) to complement their curriculum learning and prepare them for life after school.
Careers preparation programme
|Key Stage 3||- Introduction into careers and interest guides
- Planning for the future – let’s talk about jobs!
|Key Stage 4||- Year 10: Employability and block work experience
- Year 11: Financials
- Taster days at local colleges
- Careers presentations: including talks from professionals and local employers
- South Somerset Careers Convention at Fleet Air Army Museum, Yeovilton
- CV writing and assistance with post 16 applications
- External speakers covering all post 16 (and post 18) options
|Key Stage 5||- UCAS convention visit, UWE, Bristol for all Year 12
- Oxbridge conference for HE+ students
- HE+ programme to support Oxbridge and competitive applications for medicine, veterinary science and dentistry
- Regular talks from professionals and local employers
- Work experience week (including briefing and debriefing)
- Y12: Allocated careers week (July) with university visits, professional speakers, workshops on GAP years, university, apprenticeships and employment
- Support and presentations on CVs, letters and application formats, including mock interview practice
- Access to alumni network of speakers and careers advice
- A Level results and clearing service
|Post Sixth Form/Year 11||- Ex-Sexey’s students can access support from the Independent Careers Adviser in the year after they have left, e.g. Gap Year students, those wishing to change their university course, look for apprenticeships, or recovering from illness|
All students can access up to date labour market information and research tools via Moodle and the School’s Independent Careers Advisor.
Full details of our Careers Policy can be read and downloaded here.
Measurement and assessment of the impact of our careers programme
The impact of Sexey’s careers programme is assessed by the Assistant Head using the following means:
- Lesson and tutor observations within PSHE lessons as part of School Self Evaluation
- Student focus groups. Resulting action points then feed into the following years’ planning process to ensure they are addressed.
- Review of the school’s adherence to the Gatsby Benchmarks undertaken in conjunction with the careers adviser.
Upcoming events: Student area
1. Springpod Work Experience Guide 2020
Download your guide to the UK’s top employers’ 2020 work experience programmes.
2. Leonardo Helicopters: Apprentice and Graduate vacancies for the 2020 intake are now live on the Leonardo People and Careers webpage. To access vacancies, please follow the links below:
3. IBM Apprenticeships: Apprenticeships range from Level 3 to Level 6 and each pathway gives you everything you need to start your career in the industry, with lots of exposure given. In addition to the day job there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in social activities and volunteering with other Apprentices, Students and Graduates. Opportunities are located across England and salaries start at £20,000/annum. Roles open periodically throughout the year and you can register your interest for more information here.
Find out more about subsidised STE(A)M university residentials, with applications from Year 12 open now: www.etrust.org.uk/headstart
5. Local college/Sixth Form Open Events
Find out more about open events at local colleges for Spring/Summer 2020.
6. Engineering and Business Apprenticeships with Honeywell Aerospace Yeovil: Read this leaflet for more information. Vacancies will go live at the end of February.
7. Allied Health & NHS Careers Events – Yeovil District Hospital Academy: Fri 27 March (5-7pm) and Sat 28 March (10-3) – N.B. DUE TO STAFFING COMMITMENTS THESE EVENTS HAVE NOW BEEN POSTPONED UNTIL EARLY SUMMER, DATE TBC
This is designed for individuals, students and careers advisors who would like to find out more about the variety of roles within the Allied Health Professions and wider NHS. No bookings are necessary, as these events are drop-in, providing opportunity to meet and engage with a range of health professionals. For more information, please see here.
8. InvestIN will be providing six additional career experience programmes LIVE & ONLINE in May for students aged 15-18.
These programmes (cost: £95) give students the opportunity to gain crucial career coaching in a live, interactive environment, from the comfort of their own homes.
The new programmes are listed below. Click on any to see full details and register now.
- The Young Entrepreneur Programme: Saturday 2nd May
- The Young Lawyer Programme: Sunday 3rd May
- The Young Architect Programme: Saturday 9th May
- The Young Political Leader Programme: Sunday 10th May
- The Young Film-Maker Programme: Saturday 16th May
- The Young Computer Scientist Programme: Sunday 17th May
Careerometer 2 Widget
The widget below can be used to explore and compare key information about occupations to support the process of identifying potential careers.
The Careerometer widget provides access to a selection of headline data relating to pay, weekly hours of work and future employment prospects.
The data are organised by occupation: simply type in the title of the job you are interested in and the widget provides a series of options from which you can select the most relevant to you.
Find out more
Pupils, parents, teachers and employers may find out more information about Sexey’s School’s careers preparation programme by contacting:
Careers Leader Mr. Dan Glover (Assistant Head – Teaching & Learning) or Wendy Watson (Independent Careers Advisor)
Telephone: 01749 813393
The next review of this information will be September 2020.