Careers preparation at Sexey's School
At Sexey’s School we provide all our students in Years 7 to 13 with a comprehensive programme of careers education, information, advice and guidance (CEIAG) and work related learning (WRL) to complement their curriculum learning and prepare them for life after school.
|Key Stage 3||- Introduction into careers and interest guides
- Planning for the future – let’s talk about jobs!
|Key Stage 4||- Year 10: Employability
- Year 11: Financials
- Taster days at local colleges
- Careers presentations: including talks from professionals and local employers
- South Somerset Careers Convention at Fleet Air Army Museum, Yeovilton
- CV writing and assistance with post 16 applications
- External speakers covering all post 16 (and post 18) options
|Key Stage 5||- UCAS convention visit, UWE, Bristol for all Year 12
- Oxbridge conference for HE+ students
- HE+ programme to support Oxbridge and competitive applications for medicine, veterinary science and dentistry
- Regular talks from professionals and local employers
- Work experience week (including briefing and debriefing)
- Y12: Allocated careers week (July) with university visits, professional speakers, workshops on GAP years, university, apprenticeships and employment
- Support and presentations on CVs, letters and application formats, including mock interview practice
- Access to alumni network of speakers and careers advice
- A Level results and clearing service
|Post Sixth Form/Year 11||- Ex-Sexey’s students can access support from the Independent Careers Adviser in the year after they have left, e.g. Gap Year students, those wishing to change their university course, look for apprenticeships, or recovering from illness|
All students can access up to date labour market information and research tools via Moodle and the School’s Independent Careers Advisor.
Full details of our Careers Policy can be read and downloaded here.
Measurement and assessment of the impact of our careers programme
The impact of Sexey’s careers programme is assessed by the Assistant Head using the following means:
- Lesson and tutor observations within PSHE lessons as part of School Self Evaluation
- Student focus groups. Resulting action points then feed into the following years’ planning process to ensure they are addressed.
- Review of the school’s adherence to the Gatsby Benchmarks undertaken in conjunction with the careers adviser.
Upcoming events: Student area
1. Applications are now open for Year in Industry opportunities for Year 13s to consider. These are post A Level only but cover everything from STEM to business, logistics, finance and marketing. More details can be found on the EDT website, here.
2. Do you want to learn what it’s like to study dentistry at university? The London School of Dentistry is running a Dentistry Summer School during the school holidays on August 3 – 4 2019. It is a fun and challenging two day course for students in Years 10-13. It will be held at the University of East London’s Stratford Campus, London E15 4LZ and costs £99. For more information, visit www.londonschoolofdentistry.co.uk.
3. TMP Aspire is holding a national one-day conference for aspiring medics – packed with insight on everything from work experience tips to the key skills admissions tutors look for. Book before 31st May 2019 and get your early bird ticket for just £20! More information here.
📅 Date: 14th September 2019
🕒 Time: 10am – 4pm
📍 Location: The Royal Institution of Great Britain, 21 Albemarle Street, London W1S 4BS
Find out more
Pupils, parents, teachers and employers may find out more information about Sexey’s School’s careers programme by contacting:
Careers Leader Mr. Dan Glover (Assistant Head & Head of Key Stage 5) or Wendy Watson (Independent Careers Advisor)
Telephone: 01749 813393
The next review of this information will be September 2019.
Further information and resources can be found on the Sexey’s Moodle page.