Yesterday saw over 35 of our lower school students armed with plenty of sun cream, ready to represent Sexey’s at the Yeovil Area School Athletics Association Championships. We were first to arrive, eager to start on a beautiful sunny day! The day consisted of a series of heats across a range of track races and field events, in which we saw many athletes making the top eight, and competing in the finals.
All students performed to a very high standard, with a huge amount of personal and season bests, along with individual targets smashed throughout the day.
We congratulate the following students for some outstanding results (especially those recovering from injury!):
- Will H, Year 9 boarder, who won Gold in the 100m final and also came first in the high jump event with a height of 1.42m
- Archie T, Year 9 boarder, who won the 80m hurdles
- Lydia S, Year 9 boarder, who came in sixth place in the discus despite having only just had the all-clear following a broken collarbone
- Dan C, Year 10 day student, who came 3rd in the Inter Boys long jump
- Gretel W, Year 9 day student, who came 4th in the 1500m
- Jessica S, Year 9 day student, who came 5th overall in the 800m
- Oscar S-P, Year 9 boarder, who was a finalist in the 300m race
- Alice D, Year 8 day student, who was a finalist in the 200m
- And Alex E, Romy S, James C, Will H and Oscar S-P for finishing in fantastic positions within their 800m heats
Commenting, Rosie S and Emily D, Year 9 competitors said, “It was a really fun day. Everyone was so encouraging and it was great to see all the schools cheering each other on. Thank you to Ms Radcliffe-James, Mr Bomani, Miss Clarke and Mr Brooker for making it happen.”
Will H added, “I’m really pleased to have come first in my sprint and high jump events. I’m hoping to do better at county. I got a time of 12.1 seconds for the 100m but I think I think I can be faster!”
Miss Clarke said, “We’re really proud of everyone that competed in the event. We are excited to see which athletes make it through to the next round – County Championships!”