Headteacher’s weekly notes: 01.12.17

It has been another busy week, with a great deal to be proud of. The school is building up to the end of term with our cross country run on the 8th December. This – followed by Christmas lunch – is a great Sexeian tradition and I am really looking forward to being part of this great event. We will end the term with the Carol Service, which I will be taking an active part in.

The students of Sexey’s continue to impress me with their charm, intelligence and curiosity. I have conducted two Cambridge University style entrance interviews this week and was impressed with the calibre of the students in front of me. Many congratulations and thanks for your success in bringing up such fully rounded individuals.

This week we have been further tightening up our processes to safeguard the school in relation to visitors. As an open site, you will be as aware as I am of the need to ensure that we do everything we can to keep our students safe. There will be a few new changes to the way in which we register visitors at Reception, for example. Staff have been trained to ask for photo ID for visitors that require access to the school site, after which you will be issued with a coloured lanyard and badge. If these are not prominently displayed, you must expect to be challenged by a member of staff to disclose your purpose for being on site. Even as parents and guardians, you must always be accompanied by a member of staff when visiting further than Reception, even if your stay is a short one and you know where you are going. I hope you will support us in these changes – it is most certainly not our intention to appear unfriendly or unwelcoming to our parents, but rather a process to protect not only our students but also our visitors too.

In addition, if you could continue to support us in not bringing cars on site in the areas indicated by our signage. This is also a safeguarding measure intended to help the security of the site.

Today I have been attending the Somerset Association of Secondary School Heads conference, to represent Sexey’s and also to collaborate with the other local schools. It has been an invaluable exercise in terms of making contacts and sharing ideas and best practices, but it has unfortunately meant that I have not been in school to witness the Candle Conference, which ran today with a number of our students taking part. As a former Religious Studies teacher I know how invaluable these sessions are in allowing our students to philosophise and debate out of their usual context and I welcome the fact that they are encouraged to do so in school, especially with someone as influential as Dr Vardy to lead them.

Congratulations to the Year 10 Girl’s Hockey team who came second in the Area Finals and to the Year 9 Girl’s Hockey who won the Area Finals and are through to the County Finals at Millfield – Date to be confirmed but likely to be in the last week of term.